Handbook - Fastening
- Use 8d nails designed for wood trim and siding that have thin shanks, blunt points and full round heads with annular threads.
- Fasteners must penetrate a full 1 1/4" into substrate. (stud or joist)
- Fasten 2" maximum from end of boards.
- Stainless fasteners are preferred over galvanized, as there’s less chance of corrosion. (galv. stripping off fasteners)
- Nail guns can be used – PSI between 80-100, dependent upon gun, nail, outside temperature, and substrate.
- Use 7d trim screws to better control expansion/contraction.
- In temps under 40°F, pre-drilling may be required.
To control movement of boards
||Fasteners per width a maximum of every 16" on center
|4" & 6"
|8" & 10"
Recommended Fastener Screws
Fasten Master Cortex System Screw Plug System with VERSATEX Plugs
*Eliminates need to fill fasteners or screw holes.
Simpson Strong-Tie 2 1/4" Trim Screw or Equal. Can be set flush with trim.
Recommended Fastener Nails
8D Nails with Annular threads (ex. Simpson Strong-Tie Trifecta Nail). The Trifecta Nail is available collatated for use with a variety of nail guns.