Material Safety Data Sheet
Manufacturing Site: Versatex Building Products, LLC
Address: 400 Steel Street, Aliquippa, PA 15001
Trade Name: Polyvinyl Chloride Compound (PVC), VERSATEX Trimboard/Sheet
Synonyms: Vinyl Polymers, Chloroethylene homopolymer compound
CAS Number: 9002-86-2
MSDS Contact: John D. Pace, President and CEO
400 Steel Street
Aliquippa, PA 15001
Phone: (724) 857-1111
Fax: (724) 241-3599
II. Composition/Information on Ingredients
This product is an article as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200. It will not result in exposure to hazardous chemicals under normal conditions of use. This product is not subject to the reporting requirements of Section 313 of Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 and 40 CFR Part 372.
III. Physical Data
IV. Fire and Explosion Data
- Flash Point: Not applicable
- Autoignition Temperature: Not applicable
- Flammable Limits in Air. % by Vol.
- Lower (Lel): Not applicable
- Extinguishing Media: Dry chemical, Water spray (fog), foam, or carbon dioxide.
- Special Fire Fighting Procedure: Wear NIOSH approved, positive pressure, self-contained breathing apparatus especially in confined spaces. Full protective clothing. Evacuate all personnel from danger area.
- Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazard: PVC will not continue to burn without an external fire source. The gaseous products of PVC combustion are hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and other toxic gases. Exposure to combustion products may be fatal and should be avoided.
V. Health Hazard Information
(Pertains to dust or chips generated during fabrication processes on finished trim boards or sheet)
- Eyes: Immediately flush with plenty of water for a period of 15 minutes. Do not rub eyes. If irritation persists consult a physician.
- Skin Contact: Flush skin with plenty of water. Remove contaminated clothing. Wash clothing before reuse. If irritation persists consult a physician.
- Skin Absorption: No absorption is likely to occur in its solid form.
- Inhalation: If respiratory irritation exists, remove to fresh air.
- Ingestion: Although unlikely under normal conditions and use, if indigestion occurs seek medical attention. Please reference section D, Fire and Explosion Data.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Overexposure: Available toxicological data and the physical and chemical properties of the product suggest that there is no evidence that this product will aggravate and existing medical condition.
- Note to Physician: Treat Symptomatically and supportively.
- Other Instructions: Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
Nature of Hazard:
- Eyes: If exposed to high concentrations of dust, physical irritation of the eyes.
- Skin: This material is not expected to present a hazard to the intact skin. Molten sheet will produce thermal burns.
- Inhalation: Under normal conditions and with normal use, no inhalation hazard is presented. Please refer to Section IV, Fire and Explosion Data.
- Ingestion: No significant health hazard can be reasonably anticipated.
- None established.
- ACGIH TLV of 10 mg/m3 total dust as an 8-hourTWA is recommended.
- OSHA-PEL: Not applicable
- Skin Contact: A review of the pertinent literature did not reveal specific information for PVC.
- Eye Contact: A review of the pertinent literature did not reveal specific information for PVC.
- Inhalation: Rodents exposed by the dietary on inhalation route for 6 to 24 months have shown no significant toxicological effects.
- Ingestion: See above
- Special precautions-avoid inhalation of combustion products.
VI. Reactivity Data
Conditions Contributing To:
Instability: Not applicable
Incompatibility: Not applicable
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride and other toxic fumes generated with combustion.
Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur. Not applicable.
VII. Spill or Leak Procedure
When producing chips or dust from fabricating PVC sheet, sweep, scoop, or vacuum and remove. Dispose of only in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations. Recycling of PVC sheet and boards should be encouraged whenever possible.
VIII. Special Protection Information
**Pertains to dust or chips as a by-product of fabricating finished sheet**
- Ventilation Recommendations: General ventilation when fabricating and nuisance dust control.
- Specific personal protective equipment
- Respiratory Protection: If dust is produced during handing, an approved particular filter respirator should be used.
- Eyes: Safety glasses or goggles.
- Gloves: Wear gloves when cutting or fabricating sheet or trimboards. Use gloves when handling hot or molten sheet.
- Required Work: Do not eat, drink or smoke in work area.
- Hygiene Procedure: Wash ha ndsthoroughly after handling, especially before eating,drinking,smoking, chewing,or using restroom facilities.
- Other Clothing and Equipment: As necessary when handling hot or molten sheet
IX. Shipping Transfer and Storage
- Shipping Information-Non-hazardous for transportation purposes.
- Transportation and Storage
- Usual Shipping Containers: Pelletized sheets
- Storage Transport: Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, away from sources of extreme heat or fire. Temperatures above 150°F may cause slow product degradation.
- Electrostatic Accumulation Hazard: Yes
- DOT Shipping Name – Not Listed
- DOT Label – Not Applicable
- DOT Hazard Glass – Not Regulated
- UN/NA Number-Not Applicable
- Hazard Labels/Placard(s) – Not Applicable
- Packing Group – Not Applicable
- RQ – Not Applicable
- ERG No. – Not Applicable
Not data is available on the adverse effects of this product on the environment.
XI. Disclaimer Liability
The above data is based upon test performed by, and experience of Versatex Building Products or Versatex Building Products suppliers and is provided for informational purposes only. Versatex Building Products products are intended for sale to industrial and commercial customers. Versatex Building Products requests that customers inspect and test our products before use and satisfy themselves as to contents and suitability. Versatex Building Products disclaims and liability for damage or injury which results from the use of the above data and nothing contained therein shall constitute a guarantee, warranty (including freedom from patent liability) by Versatex Building Products with respect to that data, the product described, or their use for any specific purpose, even if that purpose is known to Versatex Building Products. Compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations remains the responsibility on the user.